Saturday, September 6, 2008

FLASHBACK Corban explaining resurrection.

On Sunday, January 27, 2008, President Gordon B. Hinckley passed away. I was online either that night, or the next day reading the obituary and such about him when Corban came into the room. President Hinckley's photo was on the screen and thanks to Corban's nursery leaders Corban recognized him, "Pezzdent Hinkawy!" "Yes, that's right Corban." After recovering from the shock of Corban's knowledge (he never ceases to amaze me) I took the moment to explain to Corban that President Hinckley had died and that he went up to heaven to live with Jesus. Corban said, "Oh, okay," but didn't seem too phased. I didn't try to add anymore figuring he didn't understand much (this was the first time we had really mentioned death) and didn't want to traumatize him unnecessarily (now, if it becomes necessary to traumatize him...).

On Tuesday, we went out to dinner with the Smith grandparents. Grandpa Smith had to leave early for a bishopric's meeting, so Grandma Smith rode home in our car. During the ride she mentioned that President Hinckley's funeral time had been announced. I started to tell Mom about how Corban had recognized President Hinckley's picture when Corban chimed in, "Pezzdent Hinkawy!"
"Yes, Corban." I said, and to see if anything stuck, I asked, "Corban, where does President Hinckley live now?"
His answer was clear, "Pezzdent Hinkawy dead."
"Uh, yes. Yes, he is. So, where does he live now?"
More shock for us, "Dey gonna put him in da dert."
"Uh... well, yes."
"And then, he gonna get up!"
"Get up?"
"And Jesus, Him got up too!"
"Oh, yes. Yes, you're right. President Hickley is going to get up just like Jesus did... eventually."
"Uh huh!! He gonna get up!"
That next Sunday, I talked to his nursery leader, Sister Gordon, and found out that they had just had the Easter Lesson about the stone being rolled away and the resurrection of Christ. There wasn't any mention of dirt... "But it's good to know he's getting something out of the lessons!" said Sister Gordon. Yes, yes it is.

No comments: