This weekend was our ward campout. It was only one night, and we were in cabins and addies so it wasn't exactly roughing it, but it was a lot of fun.
Corban still doesn't get the whole time thing as far as days go. He understands 3 days, but actually waiting that long... not so good. Also, when we try to tell him, "You have to go to bed 3 times and then it's time to go," he responds, "But I don't want to go to sleep... I'm not tired!" So I tend to wait till the day (or two) before we leave to tell him we go anywhere. This strategy can also backfire. Last time we flew to WA I waited to tell him, but he had heard us do so much planning that by the time I told him he looked at me and said, "Yeah, I know. You already packed my suitcase."
Our plan was to leave Friday after classes (Logan and I are both in school). Thursday evening, while I was fixing dinner, I told Corban that we were going to go camping. He got very excited and passed the news onto Logan who asked, "Corban, do you know what camping is?" "No..." So Logan explained a bit including that his friends would be going as well. Corban was very excited at the whole plan, but the term "camping" was a bit tough to remember. Corban came in and asked me late Thursday night, "Hey Mom, 'member when you were in the kitchen cleaning and I came in, what did you say to me?" I had no idea what he was getting at. He repeated the same thing, louder and slower (cause that always helps :O) ) and finally Logan realized what he meant. "We're going camping, Corban." "Oh yeah, CAMPING!!"
The next day he told Mary Ellsworth (Quintin Ellsworth is C's best friend so Mary and I trade babysitting, including while we're in class) all about how they were going to go camping, "And you SLEEP there!!!"
The campout was held at Camp Lomia, a Church owned property used mainly for girls camp, but available for wards and even families to rent out. There are a few different areas of camp, we were in Camp Orchard which includes one main pavilion (with enlosed kitchen, and a few cabin like rooms), a large craft room, two sets of bathrooms, and 22 addies (large cabin like structures, with half doors, large canvas for the rest of the door, and screen instead of solid gables... oh and overhead lighting, but no outlets). There are also outdoor activites like archery, horseshoes, a ampitheater/chapel, and a creek, which was dry this time of year.
We were able to get up to the camp fairly early which was very nice because that meant we got first choice on cabins!! Lani and Ben Ayers (friends who moved from the ward, but still join in festivities) had gotten there an hour before and reserved for us two of the three rooms in the main pavilion. They were small, the three rooms combined don't even equal an addy, but they had electrical outlets and a bathroom! The bathroom joined the Ayers room with ours, so we had to share, but it sure as heck beats walking outdoors to get there just to share with the rest of the ward!! All of the rooms and addies are equipped with bunkbeds and mattresses. Our room was just big enough that we could push the two bunkbeds together and in one corner (all three of us slept on the bottom bunk) and have a 2 foot walking space around half the perimeter (like an "L") leading from our main door to the bathroom. Right outside our door was the paved pavilion which I worried would leave us open to a lot of noise, but the three of use were sound enough sleepers that none of it bothered us.
We thought the weather would be an issue (it's monsoon season still), but it was amazingly cooperative. It rained all the way up, but only sprinkled occassionally while were there. The dirt was wet, but there wasn't any mud to speak of. We played all dayand then through the part of the night; Corban and his friends LOVED the dirt and he went through three changes of clothes (the shorts that he came in, a warm outfit before dinner, and a warm outfit after (check out the picture, there's enough dirt on him you could plant a potato!). Logan and Ben built a fire which became one of two gathering spots for the ward. We had marshmallows, and of course S'mores. Corban had a little camping chair and he and Quintin alternated between sitting and roasting marshmallows and running through and around the pavilion like wild dogs. I've decided that next year I'm tying a cowbell around his neck. The other gathering spot was under the pavilion at the picnic table where many a game of Phase 10 were played, I always lost :O(.
We were able to get Corban to bed at the amazingly early time of 11pm. Doesn't sound so great I know, but I'm told that most everyone else stayed up till 3am. Logan went to bed then too, I wanted to stay up, but fatigue kicked me in the bootie at midnight. The next morning Logan and I were up between 7 and 7:30. People were walking around outside getting breakfast ready. It wasn't loud enough to be annoying, just loud enough to know that breakfast was ready and it was time to eat! We finally drew the curtains and woke Corban around 8:30. Quintin sat patiently outside the window staring in as Corban rolled around the bed fighting the inevitable.
After breakfast the four of us (L, Me, C, and Q) went on a walk. A little girl from C and Q's nursery followed and her mother (holding baby) followed her. We went on a walk around the camp. The boys picked up rocks, pulled grass and fought with sticks. The little girl got tired and so Logan took the baby and her mother carried her. The baby boy that Logan was holding took one look at Logan and then nestled into his shoulder and fell asleep!! Corban too, always fell asleep when Logan held him.
We cleaned up and were out of the camp just before 1pm. The Ellsworths left first and Corban came up to me with his head hanging and said, "I am sad because Quintin has gone home." We caught their van as they circled camp and Corban and Quintin got to say good bye. Corban seemed slightly comforted at the idea that they would see each other the next day at church.
We were hoping that Corban would sleep all the way home. He didn't get a wink. The second best thing happened though, I slept the whole way home :O). I slept all the way home, walked into the house and straight to my bed and slept for another two hours. Corban didn't get a nap all day; he's asleep now, but I really don't know if I'll be able to get him up for church in the morning! Logan went the ASU football game with his dad, and I'm blogging.
We had fun at the campout. At first, I was bummed that it was only a nig ht, but now, I'm thinking that the kids couldn't handle much more than that... I know I can't. It was all things wonderful and good and a great way to start out our Labor Day weekend.
Corban still doesn't get the whole time thing as far as days go. He understands 3 days, but actually waiting that long... not so good. Also, when we try to tell him, "You have to go to bed 3 times and then it's time to go," he responds, "But I don't want to go to sleep... I'm not tired!" So I tend to wait till the day (or two) before we leave to tell him we go anywhere. This strategy can also backfire. Last time we flew to WA I waited to tell him, but he had heard us do so much planning that by the time I told him he looked at me and said, "Yeah, I know. You already packed my suitcase."
Our plan was to leave Friday after classes (Logan and I are both in school). Thursday evening, while I was fixing dinner, I told Corban that we were going to go camping. He got very excited and passed the news onto Logan who asked, "Corban, do you know what camping is?" "No..." So Logan explained a bit including that his friends would be going as well. Corban was very excited at the whole plan, but the term "camping" was a bit tough to remember. Corban came in and asked me late Thursday night, "Hey Mom, 'member when you were in the kitchen cleaning and I came in, what did you say to me?" I had no idea what he was getting at. He repeated the same thing, louder and slower (cause that always helps :O) ) and finally Logan realized what he meant. "We're going camping, Corban." "Oh yeah, CAMPING!!"
The next day he told Mary Ellsworth (Quintin Ellsworth is C's best friend so Mary and I trade babysitting, including while we're in class) all about how they were going to go camping, "And you SLEEP there!!!"
The campout was held at Camp Lomia, a Church owned property used mainly for girls camp, but available for wards and even families to rent out. There are a few different areas of camp, we were in Camp Orchard which includes one main pavilion (with enlosed kitchen, and a few cabin like rooms), a large craft room, two sets of bathrooms, and 22 addies (large cabin like structures, with half doors, large canvas for the rest of the door, and screen instead of solid gables... oh and overhead lighting, but no outlets). There are also outdoor activites like archery, horseshoes, a ampitheater/chapel, and a creek, which was dry this time of year.
We were able to get up to the camp fairly early which was very nice because that meant we got first choice on cabins!! Lani and Ben Ayers (friends who moved from the ward, but still join in festivities) had gotten there an hour before and reserved for us two of the three rooms in the main pavilion. They were small, the three rooms combined don't even equal an addy, but they had electrical outlets and a bathroom! The bathroom joined the Ayers room with ours, so we had to share, but it sure as heck beats walking outdoors to get there just to share with the rest of the ward!! All of the rooms and addies are equipped with bunkbeds and mattresses. Our room was just big enough that we could push the two bunkbeds together and in one corner (all three of us slept on the bottom bunk) and have a 2 foot walking space around half the perimeter (like an "L") leading from our main door to the bathroom. Right outside our door was the paved pavilion which I worried would leave us open to a lot of noise, but the three of use were sound enough sleepers that none of it bothered us.
We were able to get Corban to bed at the amazingly early time of 11pm. Doesn't sound so great I know, but I'm told that most everyone else stayed up till 3am. Logan went to bed then too, I wanted to stay up, but fatigue kicked me in the bootie at midnight. The next morning Logan and I were up between 7 and 7:30. People were walking around outside getting breakfast ready. It wasn't loud enough to be annoying, just loud enough to know that breakfast was ready and it was time to eat! We finally drew the curtains and woke Corban around 8:30. Quintin sat patiently outside the window staring in as Corban rolled around the bed fighting the inevitable.
After breakfast the four of us (L, Me, C, and Q) went on a walk. A little girl from C and Q's nursery followed and her mother (holding baby) followed her. We went on a walk around the camp. The boys picked up rocks, pulled grass and fought with sticks. The little girl got tired and so Logan took the baby and her mother carried her. The baby boy that Logan was holding took one look at Logan and then nestled into his shoulder and fell asleep!! Corban too, always fell asleep when Logan held him.
We cleaned up and were out of the camp just before 1pm. The Ellsworths left first and Corban came up to me with his head hanging and said, "I am sad because Quintin has gone home." We caught their van as they circled camp and Corban and Quintin got to say good bye. Corban seemed slightly comforted at the idea that they would see each other the next day at church.
We were hoping that Corban would sleep all the way home. He didn't get a wink. The second best thing happened though, I slept the whole way home :O). I slept all the way home, walked into the house and straight to my bed and slept for another two hours. Corban didn't get a nap all day; he's asleep now, but I really don't know if I'll be able to get him up for church in the morning! Logan went the ASU football game with his dad, and I'm blogging.
We had fun at the campout. At first, I was bummed that it was only a nig ht, but now, I'm thinking that the kids couldn't handle much more than that... I know I can't. It was all things wonderful and good and a great way to start out our Labor Day weekend.



No comments:
Post a Comment