Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas 2008

Since it's New Years Eve, I should probably hurry and put a post in about Christmas!

This year was special because it was Jody's first Christmas since being released from prison. Didn't know I had a brother in prison? Where have YOU been? Wait... didn't know I had an older brother?! Yeah, I've heard that too. Yes, I have an older brother, Joseph... who we call Jody, even though it's a girl's name and he probably got beat up for it in prison, and he goes by "Joe" now, but I will forever call him Jody. And yes, he was in prison. He was in WA State Pen from 2002 (while I was on my mission) and just got out September 2008. Did I not put up a post about that?! ... I just checked. I did make a post about us being in WA, but I didn't mention that we were there because Jody was getting out and I came up to see him. Oops. I actually do remember that... I sat down a couple of times to blog, but was never really in the mood... you know?

Anyway, as I was saying, It was his first year out, and he was in Alaska for the Christmas before my mission, so this is the first Christmas that all five Stocking children have been home since 2000. It was a pretty full house... or at least a lot more than my parents are used to.

It was a lot of fun though. We played a lot of card games, did some sledding, watched movies, swapped gifts, AND... had family portraits done! Annette Olivieri did them, she's fabulous. I'll post them once we get them at the end of January or so... or a link if she puts them on her sight.

Mom and Dad got a Wii for Christmas, so that has been fun. The boys, old and young, have been playing, and Corban has been able to hold his own. It's been great fun! Mom also got a Wii fit. After seeing it I'm considering saving up my spending money to get one after Kaylee is born to help me get back into shape! We'll see. :O)

Our one downer about this trip is that everyone has been sick! Not all at once... we've all been taking turns. It's been that stomach bug that knocks you out cold for 24 hours and then takes a bit for your tummy to recover from. Mom got it before we came, and Jill had it the day we flew in. It made its rounds, affecting some of us worse than others. Fortunately the three of us dodged the bullet. Logan didn't get it at all, and Corban and I just wrestled with tender tummies for a day or so, but weren't bedridden or puking.

The weather has been record breaking. I don't remember seeing this much snow since at least '88. Actually, '96 (or so) was really bad too, but for some reason I don't remember it. Storms have nearly shut down the Pacific Northwest from travel in and out. The four of us, Logan, Corban, Ben, and I were stuck in SLC for 9 hours or so waiting to get out. It wasn't as bad as it sounds, definitely not as bad as it could've been. We were waiting for a plane to come in from Chicago, which wasn't going to happen because the midwest and east were just as bad off as we were. Instead of bringing in another plane though, we waited for that plane, and once it finally came in, we were stuck because it brought the storm along with it. Another CHS alum Emily Davidson, who was also one of Ben's piano students, was also there with us, waiting on the same flight. So, between the four of us there were plenty to watch carryon luggage, go get food, and walk around with Corban to make the day longer than desired, but very manageable. Dad had also read that things could be bad and therefor put some extra money into Ben's account to help feed us all.

Good times have been had by all. The weather's warmed up a bit, aside from a few days of ice, things have been quite nice. Roads are back to being clear and we've been able to get out and about.

I was able to have dinner with some high school friends; it was definitely fun to catch up with them.

We're here until Jan 11. So, hopefully we'll continue to win our battle against illness and ice and be able to make some more memories.

1 comment:

Andersen said...

Connell doesn't change much does it? I'm glad that you guys didn't catch that illness. Max and I have been sick for awhile. But just a small but annoying cold. tell Jacob I said hi! I'm glad you guys had the chance to spend Christmas all together. I'm glad Joe is out too.